Clydebank’s shopping centre has won another accolade – as one of most attractive in Scotland.

The Trevor Wood Definitive Guide to Shopping Centres 2020 has put Clyde Shopping Centre at FIFTH in the country, ahead of Buchanan Galleries, St Enoch Centre, and The Forge.

It comes behind East Kilbride Shopping Centre, The Centre in Livingston, Glasgow Silverburn and intu Braehead for Scottish entries.

Overall, Clyde is ranked 42 out of the top 100 centres in the UK, with Westfield London in Shepherds Bush as the most attractive.

Ross Campbell, senior asset manager with centre managers Edinburgh House, said: “It’s great to see Clyde being recognised as one of the leading rental and leisure locations in Scotland.

“The team has worked really hard to bring in new retail and leisure brands in the last 12 months and we are in active negotiations for new and exciting brands for 2020.”

More than 1,000 centres – called “schemes” in the guide – were surveyed. Information on tenants, lettable area, business turnover, weekly footfall and available facilities are converted into points for centres larger than 50,000sqft.

It doesn’t include non-retail offices such as doctors or dentists, nor vacant units.

Read more: Clydemuir Primary youngsters dig deep for those in need over Christmas

The guide points out that the largest centres are “not always considered the most attractive and 16 of the 100 largest schemes do not feature in the top 100”.

Damon Scott, chief executive, Dunbartonshire Chamber of Commerce, said: “It is always good to hear about businesses in our area scoring well when reviewed, being shortlisted for and winning awards.

“Clyde Shopping Centre has done well to continue to attract new high profile tenants such as Nando’s, TJ Hughes, and several other retailers in the difficult trading conditions that retail is facing.

“The scoring appears to have taken in a broad range of considerations so it is great to see West Dunbartonshire’s biggest shopping centre doing so well.”

West Dunbartonshire Council is to look at the potential for taking over Clyde Shopping Centre after the owners said they wanted to walk away.

Councillor John Mooney said: “I am pleased to hear Clyde Regional Shopping Centre is so popular. West Dunbartonshire Council currently owns 20 per cent of the centre, but now has the option to buy the other 80 per cent.

“If the right deal becomes available, the centre would then be wholly in public ownership and management, bringing many advantages to residents and £6.5million in rental income each year.

“Moreover, the council is about to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to refurbish Sylvania Way South.”

Clydebank MSP Gil Paterson added: “This is great news for Clyde Shopping Centre. Hopefully it will help to attract more shoppers to the centre.”