A CLYDEBANK man who attacked his partner with a samurai sword and then escaped from prison is back behind bars.

Frederick Boyd was jailed in 2015 for stabbing the woman in Knightswood because he mistakenly thought she was having an affair with his brother.

The 54-year-old failed to return to HMP Castle Huntly in Dundee after a period of home leave and was reported missing on April 11.

Boyd still had months to go until his release but was being prepared for a return to life outside prison when he was temporarily allowed home in April this year.

He was staying at a hostel in Glasgow, with a curfew requiring him to be within doors between the hours of 11pm and 7am each day, until a scheduled return to the open prison on April 12.

Perth Sheriff Court heard last week he failed to return to the hostel one evening and went missing until handing himself in days later.

He claimed to have missed a bus and been unable to return to his hostel in time and had “panicked”, deciding to instead flee back to the arms of his family.

He said he subsequently realised this was “extremely foolish”.

Boyd also claimed he had been sleeping rough in Dalmuir Park and beneath the Erskine Bridge.

Solicitor John McLaughlin said his client’s flirtation with the bridge could be considered “quite sinister” given he had had been hospitalised for an overdose of medication since his return to closed prison.

Boyd, described as a prisoner at HMP Glenochil, admitted failing to return to his home leave address and failing to return to Castle Huntly on Wednesday, April 12, and attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

Sheriff Gillian Wade said: “You are no stranger to the prison system and court and yet you took the somewhat silly decision to remain at liberty when you could have gone back to open prison.”

Sheriff Wade sentenced Boyd to an additional eight months behind bars.

Boyd was sentenced in March 2015 at the High Court in Glasgow to four years and 11 months after admitting the October 16, 2014 assault.

The judge was told Boyd still wanted to win his victim back despite the sword attack.

The couple had initially been enjoying a meal at the home of the woman’s son in Knightswood and Boyd’s brother was also there.

Robert McCormack, defending, told the court: “He recalled both his partner and brother still up. He formed the perception – his judgement clouded – that what was happening was an illicit affair.

“What happened was triggered by outrage, anger and loss of control.” The lawyer also said Boyd “sought forgiveness” for what happened – and wanted his partner to take him back.

He added: “He has written (to the victim) expressing in affectionate terms that the relationship could continue. He has expressed contrition.”