Clydebank’s fairytale Scottish Cup run came to a cruel end at Holm Park after League Two Annan Athletic scored two late goals to knock them out in extra time.

The West of Scotland League side were just minutes away from the last 16 after Ciaran Mulcahy had put them ahead for the first time in the match at the start of the additional time.

But late strikes from Annan’s Rob McCartney and substitute Iain Anderson broke Bankies hearts in a devastating final few minutes.

The hosts struggled to get going in the early minutes and it was Annan who started the brighter, forcing a series of corners to put pressure on the Bankies defence.

And their dominance paid off when Owen Moxon fired home a delightful free-kick on nine minutes, leaving Clydebank keeper Jamie Donnelly helpless.

That seemed to spark some life into the hosts, and they got their first look at goal when defender Matt Niven put his shot over the bar.

Forward Nicky Little was next to try his luck, showing some deft skills to move inside the Annan penalty box, only to see his shot drift well-wide when he should have squared it for midfielder Chris Black.

But the Bankies ensured they gave the sell-out home crowd a half-time smile when they scored right on the stroke of the break.

Clydebank Post: The Bankies were minutes from moving into the last 16 of the Scottish Cup. Credit: Stevie DooganThe Bankies were minutes from moving into the last 16 of the Scottish Cup. Credit: Stevie Doogan

A corner from the right found defender Jamie Darroch free at the back post and his nodded down header was prodded home by Hamish McKinley to make it 1-1.

The Holm Park crowd was buzzing, and their players started the second half in a positive fashion, pushing Annan back in search of the lead.

But that momentum was swiftly halted on 54 minutes when a long throw from the right saw Annan’s Matty Douglas flick a header into the far corner of Donnelly’s net to make it 2-1 to the Galabankies.

The Clydebank Bankies were back to square one, and had to show all the fight that had got them to the fourth round in the first place.

And midfielder Black ensured they would at least remain in the tournament via the goal of the round competition after he unleased an unstoppable right-footed volley into the bottom corner of the Annan net to level the scoreboard up again on 68 minutes.

Neither side could find a winner, and both seemed happy to slog it out in an extra 30 minutes.

And within minutes of the extra period, Mulcahy had the home crowd in dreamland after he arrowed a first-time shot into the Annan net to make it 3-2 with just over 20 minutes of play remaining.

The lower league side began to tire, falling deeper as Annan pushed for an equaliser to force a penalty shootout.

And on 118 minutes, McPherson capitalised on a defensive lapse to finish into an empty net.

The majority of those inside the ground were too busy wondering what end the shootout would take place when Anderson found himself free in the Clydebank box and he duly nodded home the winner to crush home hopes of a trip to some of Scottish football’s big names.  

Bankies boss Gordon Moffat praised his players for their heroic effort in getting this far. He said: "It is obviously very sore. But that is football, that is cup football.

“I thought it was a brilliant game. It swung back and forward.

"I couldn’t ask for anymore from them. I'm more disappointed for them than I am myself and the staff.

“I know what it’s like myself when you put so much into a game and you get sucker punched at the end.”

“I said to them at the end to make sure they walk off with their chests out and don’t be walking off with your shoulders slumped.

“There was guys lying on the ground at the end there. They deserved the round of applause at the end.

“It wasn’t just for today for the cup run as a whole."