Clydebank fell to their first defeat away to Rutherglen Glencairn in 14 years with a 2-1 loss on Saturday.

Nicky Little’s goal wasn’t enough for Gordon Moffat’s men as Jordan Leyden’s first-half free kick and Drew Wingate’s late winner sank a struggling Bankies side.

Moffat made three changes to the side that drew with Glenafton in the league at the start of the month as Michael Bailey replaced the suspended Ben Cameron, while Chris Black and Alan Vezza both returned to the middle of the park.

Clydebank started the brighter side and should have went ahead inside the opening five minutes. A clever corner kick routine saw Little pull away, with Bankies’ top scorer rattling the crossbar from the edge of the area.

With a quarter of an hour played, Bankies squandered another good chance to break the deadlock, this time Little knocked the ball on for Conor Lynass, whose effort was well blocked.

READ MORE: Gordon Moffat feels Clydebank were hard done by in West Cup loss

Clydebank continued to create the better opportunities, and should have finally opened the scoring after Liam Rowan found Black with a quickly taken free kick, but he scuffed at his chance as it trundled past the post.

And Moffat’s side came to rue the missed chances as the hosts opened the scoring before the break.

Rowan was penalised 30 yards from goal, with Leyden wrong-footing goalkeeper Marc Waters from the resulting free-kick.

Waters appeared to take one step to his left, and it proved to be fatal as the stopper was unable to recover in time as Leyden’s free-kick flew into the middle of the goal.

If Waters was at fault for the opening goal, he more than redeemed himself as he stopped Glens doubling their lead just after half-time.

Callum McRobbie and Dale Simeon linked up on the edge of the area, with the latter’s effort being blocked by the feet of Waters to deny a near certain second Glencairn goal.

And then, just before the hour mark, Bankies equalised in fortuitous circumstances.

Both the Glens defence and Paul Hewitt missed a forward pass, which somehow allowed Little to run clear through on goal.

Little proceeded to prod the ball under Callum McLellan as he registered his 17th goal of the campaign.

Recent addition Craig Holmes then showed good skill to beat his man down the left and cross for Little, but his effort flew over the bar.

READ MORE: Bankies crash out of West of Scotland Cup after being reduced to 10 men

Then, as time was ticking down, Little was played through on goal again. This time he rounded the keeper before pulling the ball back for McClair, who skewed his effort high and wide.

With six minutes remaining, Bankies were dealt the killer blow as Glencairn snuck the winner.

Simeon burst past McClair before slipping the ball to the onrushing Wingate who slammed home from close range.

The defeat means Clydebank have now lost to all three sides in the relegation spots in recent weeks and head to Benburb this weekend looking to pull away from the bottom end of the league.

Kick-off at New Tinto Park this Saturday is 1.45pm.

Read all the latest from Post Sport