The 10 men of Clydebank bowed out of the West of Scotland Cup on Saturday after a 4-2 defeat at home to Hurlford.

Academy graduate Ben Cameron was contentiously dismissed early in the second-half as two first-half goals were not enough to save Bankies’ slim chances of silverware this season.

Club veteran Andy Paterson returned from injury to make his first start of the season, while Craig Holmes replaced Chris Black who missed out through suspension.

Under the lashing rain at Holm Park, Bankies went two down within the opening quarter of an hour.

First, Ross Fisher was afforded too much space and time inside the area as he got on the end of a cross from the right, nodding past Marc Waters upon his return to the side.

READ MORE: Gordon Moffat happy to settle for share of the spoils against Glenafton

And less than five minutes later, Hurlford doubled their lead. Left-back Sean Dickson tried his luck from range, a shot which Waters could only palm straight into the path of Marc McKenzie who gratefully slotted home from the rebound.

The home fans feared the worst, but Gordon Moffat’s men halved the deficit just two minutes later. Holmes burst down the left channel and hit the byline before driving the ball across goal with defender Chris McKnight able only to divert it beyond Chris Murchie and into his own net.

Bankies continued to push forward and levelled before the break. A good move down the right saw a one-two with Conor Lynass and Cammy McClair, with the former taking a touch before finishing well across Ford stopper Murchie.

But Clydebank’s hopes of progressing were dealt a major blow early in the second-half when Cameron was dismissed after a fairly innocuous challenge with McKnight.

Referee Gary Hanvidge produced a red card immediately, leaving Bankies stunned and boss Moffat cautioned for his reaction.

If the home side felt aggrieved at the red card, they were left furious when they were then denied a penalty kick just five minutes later. As Holmes burst into the box, he was clipped from behind and sent tumbling to the ground, but referee Hanvidge waved away the incandescent protests.

READ MORE: Bankies battle back from a goal down to earn Glens point

Bankies best chance of going ahead came when McClair fed top scorer Nicky Little, who forced Murchie into a flying save from 25 yards, with the ball being tipped over the bar.

But it always felt inevitable the man advantage would pay dividends, and with six minutes remaining Hurlford got their goal.

The ball fell to Paul McKenzie at the edge of the area, and once again the forward was allowed too much time as his strike hit the back of the net.

As the clock ticked down and the 10 men tried to force a penalty shootout, Hurlford capitalised and killed the game with a fourth goal. Colin McMenamin - brother of Bankies assistant Gary - was played through and slipped the ball past Waters to seal it.

Bankies now return to league action and head to Rutherglen Glencairn this Saturday. Kick-off at the Celsius Stadium is 1.45pm.

Read all the latest from Post Sport