A late wonder goal saw Clydebank fall to a narrow 2-1 defeat away to Kilwinning Rangers on Saturday.

The Buffs struck first through Alex McWaters before Bankies pulled level thanks to Del Hepburn’s fourth goal of the season.

But, just as it looked like the points would be shared, a stunning long-range effort from Carlo Monti in the dying minutes secured all three points for the home side.

Bankies boss Gordon Moffat named an unchanged lineup for the club’s first visit to Kilwinning Sports Club, with Liam Rowan and Matt McLean returning to the squad following the departure of Jordan Shelvey to Pollok.

READ MORE: Clydebank cruise into West of Scotland Cup round two with seven-goal Annabank rout

After a quarter of an hour, Buffs opened the scoring after McWaters cut inside and fired a shot high through a body of players giving Marc Waters no chance.

The early goal seemed to spark Bankies into life with the visitors going close soon after the restart. Nicky Little - occupying the sole striker role - had a shot from distance but Clydebank’s top scorer dragged his effort well wide of the post.

Bankies did well to soak up the pressure and managed to pull level against the run of play. A diagonal ball was won in the air by Little, who flicked it on for the on-rushing Hepburn. The winger took a touch and lashed the ball across goal and past David Markey as Clydebank went in level at the break.

Not impressed with his side’s first-half display, Moffat made a double substitution at half-time as Alan Vezza and Hepburn were replaced by Chris Black and Kyle Munro.

The double change proved to be effective with Bankies showing more urgency in attack, albeit against a resolute Kilwinning side who sit top of the West Region Premiership.

Chances at either end were at a premium, but Clydebank’s best opportunity during the opening stages of the second-half came after Munro delivered an out-swinging corner that was met by the head of Little, but David Markey was quick to throw himself down to his left and divert the effort away.

Little then created space for himself by turning two Rangers defenders with the forward’s shot going straight at the keeper.

McWaters had the chance to double his tally, but his effort from 30 yards brought out the best in Waters as he clawed the effort away.

READ MORE: Bankies boss insists his side's 3-0 defeat against Talbot was 'harsh'

Moffat’s men thought they had won it with less than a quarter of an hour remaining. Referee Chris Hughes played a good advantage, allowing Cammy McClair to cross for Munro who was lurking at the back post. The Hamilton loanee guided his header back across goal with Markey making another great stop.

Kilwinning then struck in the 83rd minute to secure the win with Monti unleashing an unstoppable effort that sailed in.

Next up, Clydebank are away to Cumnock Juniors this weekend.

Read all the latest from Post Sport