Clydebank fell to a 3-1 defeat away Beith on Saturday in their penultimate match of the season.

Midfielder Liam Rowan scored his first goal for the club, but John Sheridan’s double and Paul Frize’s goal saw Bankies lose out.

The defeat means Clydebank can finish no higher than seventh, having accumulated 43 points from their 29 games so far this season. 

READ MORE: McAnespie keen to draw line under season after Beith loss

Boss Kieran McAnespie made four changes to the side that drew with Troon last weekend with Lee Duncanson, Sean Higgins, Ross Alexander and Declan Fitzpatrick all returning to the starting XI. 

In the absence of striker Jordan Shelvey, Fitzpatrick deputised up front while Rowan replaced Andy Paterson who picked up an injury in the warm-up.

It took just eight minutes for Beith to open the scoring as the Bankies switched off with veteran defender Sheridan afforded too much room in the box as he blasted past Marc Waters for his side’s first of the afternoon.

Bankies struggled to get a foothold in the game and it went from bad to worse for McAnespie’s men midway through the first-half when Frize doubled Beith’s lead. 

Darren Christie latched on to the ball which was played long down the right channel and fed Frize who turned inside and stroked the ball high past Waters.

Clydebank Post: Clydebank, with one match left, are now unable to climb any further up the West Region Prem tableClydebank, with one match left, are now unable to climb any further up the West Region Prem table

With his side trailing by two, McAnespie rang the changes and withdrew academy graduate Dylan Coll for midfielder Chris Black which allowed Fitzpatrick to return to the centre of defence while Higgins supported Nicky Little up front.

The early change began to pay off, with Rowan dictating most of the Clydebank chances. 

First, the midfielder saw his thunderous effort from 25-yards crash off the post before grabbing his first goal in Clydebank colours just minutes later. 

Cammy McClair spotted the run of Rowan with a cross-field ball setting him up to blast it past Beith stopper Stephen Grindlay.

Bankies should have equalised soon after the restart when Duncanson burst forward from right-back and sent a teasing ball across the face of goal.

Higgins threw himself at it but it was narrowly out of reach in what transpired to be Clydebank’s only real chance of note in the second-half.

Beith grew into the game again and deservedly added a third goal which all but killed it as a contest. A corner from the right saw Sheridan make a front post run and nod in his second of the game.

READ MORE: Clydebank slump to 4-0 defeat away to Pollok

As the clock ticked down, Beith could’ve added a cheeky fourth when Keir Milliken got the ball 30-yards from goal and proceeded to lob Waters, only for the ball to bounce off the crossbar and away to safety as the home side recorded a simple win.

Clydebank now bring the curtain down on their season as they welcome Beith back to Lochburn tonight. Kick-off is 7.15pm.

Read all the latest from Post Sport