Clydebank slipped to seventh in the West Region Premiership with another narrow defeat as they lost 2-1 at home to Pollok on Saturday. 

Bankies academy graduate Ross Alexander was on target for Clydebank but goals in each half from Stefan McCluskey and Shaun Fraser saw the visitors leave Lochburn Park with all three points.

Manager Kieran McAnespie named an unchanged starting XI from the side that beat Renfrew last week with youngsters Dylan Coll and Oisin McHugh also taking their place on the bench.

While the visitors had a series of corners in the opening exchanges, it was Clydebank who created the first clear cut chance of the game with a quarter of an hour played as a Nicky Little free-kick flew just over.

READ MORE: McAnespie refusing to criticise his side after Pollok loss

Lok took the lead two minutes later after poor defending from the Bankies back-line. With goalkeeper Marc Waters ready to gather Fraser’s goal-ward shot, Andy Paterson’s attempted block took the ball away from Waters to allow McCluskey a tap in.

Clydebank Post: Boss McAnespie named an unchanged starting XI from last week's Renfrew win (Photo: Stevie Doogan)Boss McAnespie named an unchanged starting XI from last week's Renfrew win (Photo: Stevie Doogan)

Despite the calamitous defending, Bankies thought they had found a way back into the game just before the half hour mark when Cammy McClair’s driving run saw the ball break kindly for Jordan Shelvey who finished low before being flagged for offside by the assistant referee. 

Pollok came close to doubling their lead after good build up play between Scott Anson and Stuart McCann, but the former’s tame shot was held by Waters. 

McAnespie chose to shuffle the pack at half-time and replaced Paterson with Clyde loanee Declan Fitzpatrick in a substitution that saw Matt McLean move to left-back. 

The change seemed to work wonders as Bankies were level within five minutes of the restart. From a throw in down the right, Shelvey cushioned the ball perfectly for Alexander who rode two challenges before coolly slotting the ball past the keeper for his second goal of the season.

Clydebank did not appear to be getting much joy in the final third after that with Pollok beginning to turn the screw. First, Fraser had an effort on goal as he turned at the edge of the area and sent a shot just wide of Waters’ left-and post before McCluskey ran directly at Jamie Darroch but scuffed his shot which allowed Waters to gather comfortably. 

Bankies only real effort of note came from McLean’s long throw with substitute Chris Black powering a header straight at the Lok keeper. 

But, with less than eight minutes left, Pollok snatched all three points. A cross from the left wasn’t dealt with by the Bankies back-line, which allowed Fraser to sneak in and stab the ball home to snatch it.

READ MORE: Prolific Nicky Little breaks Clydebank goalscoring record

Clydebank are back in action this Saturday in a reverse fixture away to Pollok. Kick-off at Newlandsfield is 2pm.