Clydebank threw away a 19-point lead as they were beaten 31-24 at Cambuslang in their first away game of the West Division 2 campaign.

Clydebank’s forwards dominated throughout the match however it was Cambuslang’s backs who showed their class and deadly finishing late in the second-half to win a thrilling contest.

However the Bank picked up two bonus points for scoring four tries and finishing within seven points.

Clydebank were missing various first-team players due to injuries and holidays, but were dealt a further blow when they lost their captain Ali Smart to illness shortly before kick-off.

He was replaced by veteran Scott McIntosh who combined his considerable bulk with some lovely hands, strong running and big hand offs.

McIntosh was part of a dominant forward pack who got Bank on the front foot early in the game and after some strong running in midfield, Declan Coyle was released down the wing to open the scoring within five minutes, converted by Jack McCombe.

Sustained Clydebank forward domination delivered two tries for David Warden on 15 and 28 minutes, giving the Bankies a 17-0 lead.

His first try came after he picked up following a scrum five metres out and the second from a strong breakaway.

However from a poor Clydebank lineout and slap down, Cambuslang were able to capitalise on this poor execution to score a try and cut the deficit at half-time to 17-5.

The second half started in a similar vein with the Clydebank forwards dominating to score another try.

Scrum half Ross Moffat pinched a try literally from under the feet of number eight David Warden to deny him his hat-trick.

Clydebank’s pack were pushing the home pack with the power they had been demonstrating all game and as they ball crossed the line Moffat pounced between the number eight’s legs to score and the Red and Blacks were 24-5 up after 50 minutes.

Cambuslang fought back however and after a poor 60 minutes from their misfiring back division they got their act together emphatically.

They scored three tries in a 12 minute period with Clydebank unable to handle Cambuslang’s back line who now were running with speed and accuracy that was not present in the first half.

Cambuslang were able to add the extras to tie the scores with seven minutes to go.

Clydebank had chances to score late on, having twice been held up over the line.

But from another piece of Clydebank attacking pressure the ensuing knock-on within the 15 metres of the Cambuslang goal line was retrieved by the Cambuslang backs who ran the length of the field to score and convert and seal the victory.

Clydebank face Cumbernauld at home on Saturday, kick-off is at 3pm.