CLYDEBANK Rugby Club’s first team enjoyed an emphatic 54-6 win over Arran in their first home game of the season on Saturday.

Eight tries were scored in a much improved display from last week’s disappointing opening day loss against Waysiders. The winning bonus point was also secured just after the break.

Clydebank opened the scoring after five minutes with flying full back David McLintock making a trademark run from deep. He chipped over the defence and collected his own kick to run in under the posts. Jack McCombe got his first of seven conversions for the day.

Arran hit back with an easy penalty kick at goal in Clydeank’s 22 and closed the gap a few minutes later from another penalty from further out. It took the home side a while to get into their attacking shape but when they did they looked threatening and dangerous with ball in hand.

It was from an Arran scrum that the home side got their next score. Craig Shearer nicked the Arran put in and the ball was quickly whipped out to the backs where McCombe hit Dave Kirkwood who ran a great angle to scythe through the away defence.

McCombe had an easy conversion. Clydebank’s confidence was growing and they dominated possession and territory with David Warden and Jamie Boyd making great breaks. Warden was next on the scoresheet from a catch and drive from a lineout to cap a fine performance from the big number eight. Clydebank went into half time with a comfortable 21-6 lead.

Clydebank scored almost immediately in the second half. Arran tried to clear their lines with a kick and the ball was charged down and dropped perfectly into Shearer’s hands and he had a short run in to dot down for the bonus point try.

Thoughts of an easy afternoon try fest were dashed with poor decision making and discipline by Clydebank allowed Arran to get some decent possession. To their credit they attacked with intent and never gave up with their second row an ever present danger.

Clydebank regained their composure and used the wide miss pass to release their fast backs to put the game to bed. McCombe released David Miller in space using this tactic and he stepped inside to extend the lead with McCombe converting. Captain Ali Smart was next on the scoresheet with a powerful burst from 15 metres and Jamie Boyd addded to the tally with an interception and used his speed to breakaway from inside his own half.

Dave Kirkwood got his second try of the day as he supported well and burst through the defence and just made the line.

The confidence gained from a high scoring win was essential with a tough away fixture next week away to old rivals Cumbernauld.

Clydebank’s second team travelled to face a well drilled Grennock Wanderers side with several forwards having to play in backs positions due to injuries and unavailability.

Greenock’s backs were the difference and whenever they were given space they were in devastating form and won easily 74-19. This was in no way representative of Clydebank endeavour and work rate and they scored three fine tries of their own with every player giving their all for the full 80 minutes despite the scoreline.

Graeme Smillie scored Banks first try with Stephen Barnet adding to their tally when he ran a lovely angle to cut through the defence. Callum Smith scored Clydebank third try in the second half with the young flanker playing at centre for the day in the rejigged back line.

Alex Allan scored two conversions. With players expected to be returning from injury soon the second team should have more chance of getting their first win of the season. They are at home to GHA next week.