In their first match, the high school boys faced tough opposition in the form of Hyndland Secondary School. An early try from Hyndland shook the Clydebank boys into life, with Colin Reid making some bruising tackles in the exchanges following the score.

Hyndland then looked sure to score a second a couple of minutes later, but a superb covering tackle from Bhavish Puran denied the Hyndland boys a two-try cushion.

Clydebank High began to play their way into the game thanks to some strong, aggressive running from Jordan Murray and neat link play involving Luke Rhodes, Colin Reid and Scott Kerr. Despite this Clydebank were unable to break the Hyndland defences, who themselves regained possession to score their second try.

Clydebank came back strongly in the last quarter and were eventually rewarded for their efforts with a Jordan Murray score. A try to Hyndland with the last play of the game left them with the slightly flattering score line of three tries to one.

With a short break between games, the boys caught their breath and took in some technical points from Clydebank Rugby Club community coach Jack Burgoyne. With Jack’s words ringing in their ears they took up the next challenge in the form of a Drumchapel and Knightswood combined team.

With a game already under their belt, Clydebank started much the brighter. A determined carry from Nathan Macdonald, followed up by Bhavish Puran offload allowed Lennox Campbell to stretch his legs and score a well worked team try.

Clydebank then went two tries to the good with Andrew McCallum displaying great balance and strength to evade three would be tacklers and score in the corner. Shortly after the score McCallum was involved again, providing great support to a Jordan Murray charge who offloaded to McCallum to score his second of the game.

Throughout the game some key tackles from Jack Scoular and sharp turnovers from Greig Wylie allowed the likes of Conor Flemming to distribute the ball to his attacking options and keep Clydebank on the front foot. Two further scores from Scott Kerr and Jordan Murray finished off what was a great performance.

No doubt the boys will take a great deal of confidence back down Great Western Road, as for many it was their first rugby match and their strong showing in this tournament is a testament to the tireless work of their coach Robin Coates. The next round of this competition is scheduled for the March 25 at Clydebank Rugby Club from 4.15pm.