SNP councillors slam local MP over vote on welfare cuts

SNP Councillors brand MPs vote in favour of welfare reform 'shameful betrayal' <i>(Image: Newsquest)</i>
SNP Councillors brand MPs vote in favour of welfare reform 'shameful betrayal' (Image: Newsquest)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

SNP councillors have branded the West Dunbartonshire MP's decision to vote in favour of welfare reform a "shameful betrayal."

The SNP group at West Dunbartonshire Council (WDC) have slammed local MP Douglas McAllister's decision to back tightening the assessments for Universal Credit, saying it will "deepen poverty" in the area.

Westminster politicians voted to pass stage two of the UK Government’s Personal Independence Payment and Universal Credit Bill on Tuesday evening despite a rebellion from 49 Labour MPs.

Campaigners against the bill claimed it would strip vital support from thousands of disabled people and deepen poverty across communities like Clydebank, Dumbarton and the Vale.

West Dunbartonshire SNP Councillors.West Dunbartonshire SNP Councillors. (Image: Supplied)Cllr Gordon Scanlan (Image: GT) Councillor Gordon Scanlan, Leader of the SNP Group at WDC, said: “Labour promised change when they came into power last year. Unfortunately, the only change we’ve seen is even deeper cuts to the welfare system, targeting the most vulnerable in our society.

“Our own MP promised to stand up for the people of Clydebank, Dumbarton and the Vale. But when the chance came to do just that, he nodded along and accepted Labour’s austerity agenda.

“This is a shameful betrayal of the communities of West Dunbartonshire - and one I hope will not be forgotten.”

The vote on the government’s welfare bill, proposed changes to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – for those who have a long-term physical or mental health condition – and Universal Credit.

However, as part of two U-turns by the government, changes to eligibility for PIP would only be made after the review he is carrying out on the benefit is completed.

(Image: Colin Mearns) In a fiery response from MP Douglas McAllister, he called the SNP Councillors' statement "really embarrassing". 

He said: "I, like a number of my West Dunbartonshire constituents, had serious concerns about a number of aspects of the Bill as originally presented earlier in the year. 

"After listening to Backbench Labour MPs, the UK Labour Government committed to withdrawing the element of the Bill concerning Personal Independence Payment until such times as the Sir Stephen Timms MP review has concluded. 

"This substantial change will involve the government consulting extensively with those who have lived experience, and the government has shown willingness to improve the legislation to protect my most vulnerable constituents who depend on such assistance and, of course, most will be aware that Personal Independence Payment is a devolved benefit in Scotland."

A motion brought to the West Dunbartonshire full council meeting in April by councillor Lauren Oxley condemned the cuts and forced the leader of the council to write to the Secretary of State for the Department of Work and Pensions, urging her to scrap the cuts.

The motion was passed unanimously by all SNP councillors and all five Independent councillors. 



Mr McAllister added: "It is a shameful betrayal to the communities across West Dunbartonshire, that our local SNP politicians remain silent on their own government’s record of 19 years of failure, including one in six Scots on hospital waiting lists, the educational attainment gap widening, and our local WDC being underfunded again this year to the tune of £8 million, causing misery right across our communities of West Dunbartonshire. 

"They should reserve their shame for their own Scottish Government’s failure.”

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos