Emergency texts over Storm Eowyn will be sent tonight by the Scottish Government.
Emergency Alerts will be sent to people affected by the red weather warnings which could threaten a danger to life across.
If you receive an alert your phone will make a loud siren-like sound even if they are set on silent.
It is understood the messages will be sent at 6pm with the sound and vibration lasting for about 10 seconds.
Approximately 4.5 million people are due to get the message, which will be the largest real life use of the tool to date.
The Cabinet Office will issue the urgent messages early this evening to every compatible mobile phone in the areas at most risk.
This will include information about the weather warnings and guidance on how to stay safe.
We reported how STV weatherman Sean Batty branded the storm a “weather bomb” caused by America’s climate.
Officers have warned the public not to underestimate the red weather alert that has been issued, as Greater Glasgow braces for 90mph winds.
Forecasters said these gales would cause “very dangerous conditions” from 10am until 5pm on the same day.
A Cabinet Office Spokesperson said: "The Met Office has issued a red warning for wind on Friday January, 24 meaning there is a danger to life across Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland.
"In light of the deteriorating weather conditions and associated disruption, and in consultation with the Scottish Government and Northern Ireland Executive, the Cabinet Office will issue Emergency Alerts early this evening to people affected by the warnings in Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland.
"The Emergency Alert system will send a message to every compatible mobile phone in the areas at most risk, containing information about the weather warnings and guidance on how to stay safe.
"Mobile phones will make a loud siren-like sound even if they are set on silent. The sound and vibration will last for about 10 seconds.
"Approximately 4.5 million people will receive the Emergency Alert in the largest real life use of the tool to date.
"The UK Government has well rehearsed plans in place for severe winter weather and is working with teams from devolved governments, local authorities, the emergency services and other public bodies to coordinate the response to any disruption."
Meanwhile First Bus will suspend all Greater Glasgow services over Storm Eowyn tomorrow.
The travel giant has issued a warning to passengers to heed the 'do not travel' guidance and made the move to temporarily halt all buses across Greater Glasgow.
Stagecoach has also announced that it will not be running any buses in areas covered by the Met Office-issued red weather warning for wind - which includes Glasgow - on Friday, January 24.
ScotRail has confirmed they will also stop all train services on Friday, January 24 as a result of the storm.
Last week we reported that the Emergency Alert System was to be tested in the UK this year.
Senior Government figures and the emergency services took part in a multi-day pandemic preparedness exercise.
This is because ministers aim to bolster the UK against future threats like Covid-19.
Pat McFadden has announced that blue light services plus senior ministers and representatives from the nations and regions will be involved in the first test of pandemic preparedness in nearly a decade.
The Cabinet Office minister, whose title is the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, said the Government also plans to train thousands of people to be better prepared for crises like pandemics.
Share