A YOUNG cat who was left fighting for his life after being the victim of a horrific suspected bleach attack has been given a new lease of life thanks to thousands of kind-hearted strangers.

The Post previously reported that there were fears that Rambo, a 20-month-old cat from Knightswood, would have to be euthanised after he was attacked whilst out on one of his daily walks in December.

Clydebank Post: Rambo after the horrific attack on December 3Rambo after the horrific attack on December 3 (Image: Linda Thomson)

The brave black and white cat made his way home after the incident “absolutely soaked” in the corrosive substance before being discovered by his owners.

Now, after nearly three months of staying at the University of Glasgow Veterinary School in Bearsden, Rambo has returned home.

Clydebank Post: Rambo is now recovering at home at KnightswoodRambo is now recovering at home at Knightswood (Image: Linda Thomson)

Linda Thomson, Rambo’s owner, said: “They [the vets] are quite happy with him.

"They had suggested the amputation and I had requested to bring him home for a week prior to that because he had only been home for a couple of days in the last three months and I wanted to see for myself if his leg was salvageable.

“And it could have been, however, the vet had said it would have taken ten months just to get it bending again.

“With cats, you can only take them so far and then they start falling into a depression. They don’t want to eat or do anything so I had to make the really difficult decision – and it killed me inside – to have the leg amputated.”

The brave feline had one of his back legs amputated on March 23 and is now recovering at home.

Clydebank Post: The 20-month-old had to have one of his back legs amputated The 20-month-old had to have one of his back legs amputated (Image: Linda Thomson)

Linda explained that despite it being one of the toughest decisions she’s had to make so far, it was the best one for Rambo.

The young cat is now playing with his brother again and enjoying climbing and jumping on his scratching post – something that was unimaginable at the start of the year.

Linda added: “He has to have a head cone on because he keeps licking at the wounds on his other leg.

“The instructions I’ve had was to keep this on overnight and to let him be himself during the day but I tried that and then yesterday when I came home he had licked the wound on his ankle and it had opened again so he’s stuck with the cone on his head.

“The amputation took place on Thursday, March 23, and I got him home on the Friday and he’s been home ever since.

“Since then, he’s been running about and jumping up and down his scratching post. He’s not back to 100%. That’ll take a few weeks I imagine but he’s certainly moving a lot better than he was.

“I think I made the right decision but it’s just a shame that his leg couldn’t be saved although for him, it was definitely the right avenue to take, and he’s a lot happier.

“It’s the best we could’ve hoped for in the circumstances.”

Clydebank Post:

A GoFundMe page, set up by Linda’s friend to help with the costs of Rambo’s treatment, surpassed its goal of £20,000.

The Knightswood resident got emotional as she talked about the support she and Rambo have received from people all over the world.

Linda said: “If it wasn’t for everyone who donated to that page Rambo wouldn’t be here, it’s as simple as that.

“When I think of it I get emotional because these were complete strangers who came to my wee cat’s aid and got him the best of treatment, otherwise he just would not have made it.

“I’ll never know how to thank people and I have tried as best as I can. It’s unbelievable, I can’t find the words.

“The support for him has been absolutely tremendous. Everybody got behind him and behind me and on the worst days they brightened them up.

“I saw an act of evil with what happened to Rambo and now I’ve seen thousands of acts of kindness.”

Rambo will now be an indoor cat as well as getting regular outdoor time and walks.

This decision was made due to the fact that no one has yet been held accountable for his attack, Linda explained.

Once all of Rambo’s medical bills are paid off, any extra funds will be used to make the outside space at Linda’s home safe for him and to ensure he can have a good quality of life.

She added: “How he ever got home that day nobody will ever know. I’m hoping he still has eight more lives and that hopefully, he won’t use them any time soon.

“That’ll be him now, he’ll be an indoor cat. I’ll take him out on a harness and lead and I have one of the spiral stakes with an extra long lead that will let him go out in the summer in the better weather so he can enjoy the back garden but that’ll be it because no one’s been held accountable for it.

“I post updates on his Facebook page, Rambo McKatty, and everybody’s completely followed him the whole way.

“People suggested using any leftover funds to build him a ‘catio’ in the garden. We’re making everything safe for him now so he can go outside.”