Yoker Athletic boss Gordon Robertson hailed his history makers as they made the Scottish Junior Cup Final for the first time since the 1930s.

The Whe Ho came from behind at Newlandsfield to beat recently crowned Conference C champions Petershill, who’d gone on a stunning run of 20 games undefeated prior to Saturday’s semi-final, to set up a showdown with the mighty Auchinleck Talbot at Rugby Park in June.

Johnny Banks got the opener for Peasy on 19 minutes - but the response from Yoker was superb as Jamie Waddell fired in a stunning strike from the edge of the box only a couple of minutes later.

And Ross McDonald got what turned out to be the winner five minutes before the break when he reacted quickest to a loose ball.

The Holm Park side had to stand tall in the second-half but Robertson’s men defended resolutely to see off the Petershill threat and get to the final for the first time since 1936.

Robertson was bursting with pride when the full-time whistle sparked wild jubilation amongst the Yoker coaches, players, committee members and supporters - and afterwards he said he simply couldn’t fault any of his troops.

He told the Post: “We felt quite confident going into the game – you don’t want to talk that way before it, because you’re going up against a really good opponent who have an incredible record in the West of Scotland League. They were 20 matches unbeaten and 17 or 18 of them were wins.

“We went into the game feeling confident that if we dealt with the ways they could hurt us, then we could have a platform to go on and hurt them.

“They took the lead through a great goal, but the interesting part for me was how we respond to that - and the response was incredible.

“We scored a brilliant goal, and were really good for a period after the goal, and could have scored more.

“When we scored our second, I think we were worth it - and to do it the way we did, by coming from behind against a seriously good opponent, was pleasing.

“The message at half-time was ‘we know what we’re going to get here, and if we still have the lead going into the latter stages, then they are going to bombard us and be direct’, so we had to make sure we stood up to that.

“They had one moment with a shot but our goalkeeper, Scott Urquhart, pulled off an incredible save down to his right where he got a good strong hand on it and tipped it onto the underside of the bar.

“In the closing stages, when they were chucking the ball into the box, I felt quite relaxed. The guys are leaving nothing in the dressing room and giving everything.

“You sometimes go through your team and think ‘well, he didn’t do so well, but his teammates carried him through’, but I look at every single area and player, and they are all nine out of 10 and above.

They all put in a shift and there’s not a failure in the team.

“It was a top performance against a top team and our lads fully deserve to be in the Scottish Junior Cup final, they are there on merit.

“It’s a magnificent achievement for the club and the players to get to a national cup final and they totally deserve it. They deserve to go toe to toe with another formidable opponent.

“I’m just so thrilled and proud of them. It was another magic day.”

Elsewhere, Clydebank, who weren’t in action at the weekend, will be hoping for a similar result to Yoker’s when they head to Newlandsfield tonight (Wednesday) to face Pollok in the Premier Division (KO 6.30pm).

This Saturday, April 23, Bankies face Glenafton at Holm Park with a 2pm kick-off.