A COUPLE with three young children have slammed a city housing association after they were left "very scared" to return to their smoke-damaged flat.

The Salmi family's home was covered in soot and strong smoke fumes after a mattress leaning against their Jedworth Avenue close was set alight on Saturday night.

Mum Amina spotted the flames around 11pm and alerted her neighbours to exit the building - insuring there were no injuries.

In the early hours of the morning, she and husband Mahmoud were told by firefighters their home was now safe to enter.

Clydebank Post:

However, the family - which includes sons Sif, seven, Amir, six and 20-month-old Youcef - were devastated to find their home "covered in black soot".

Amina, 34, said: "It was very scary. The fire was behind the building so, we stayed with a friend who lives in the next flat until firefighters said we could get back in.

"When we came in, you could really smell the smoke and the chemicals."

The family contacted their landlord, Glasgow Housing Association, who agreed to put them up in a hotel on Sunday evening.

The family hoped the situation would resolve by Monday morning, and left their windows open throughout the night in a bid to tackle the smell, but when the family returned, the issue still remained.

Amina said she was "very scared" to bring her young children into the property for fear breathing in the leftover smoke fumes would harm her little ones.

She added: "I said the house needs to be cleaned, but they said I should take responsibility and do the cleaning.

"I don't think we should be staying here."

The housing association has since agreed to offer a deep clean, which was carried out yesterday, and is working with the family to ensure they feel more comfortable in their home.

Clydebank Post:

A GHA spokeswoman said: “Staff were on site as soon as we were made aware of the small fire in the tenement block.

“We’re doing all we can to support the family and that includes carrying out a deep clean of their home.

“The fire damaged a small section of an external wall. The building remains structurally safe and we’ll continue to provide support while repairs are carried out.”