Visitors to the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park are being urged to keep their pets out of the water after blue-green algae was spotted at the Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway in Balloch.

Blue-green algae can produce toxins that can kill dogs and other animals. 

In humans it can cause rashes after skin contact.

Click here for all the latest news from Clydebank and the surrounding areas

Due to the changeable nature of blue-green algae blooms the park recommends people err on the side of caution if they know there has been a warning in recent days and pets should be kept out of the water.

Visitors to the park who spot blue-green algae and there are no warning signs should contact the environmental health team at West Dunbartonshire Council.