A BANKIE who was partially blinded in a random attack has been left heartbroken after an alleged drink driver wrote off her “lifeline” car.

Kirsty Ayre was in her Dumbarton Road home last Wednesday when she heard a gut-wrenching smash at around 3.10pm.

A 26-year-old man allegedly crashed into her silver Leon whilst under the influence of alcohol. Cops arrived at the scene within minutes and arrested him.

Kirsty suffers from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after she was randomly attacked in the town in 2016.

The 37-year-old had been recovering from losing both parents within a year when she was attacked under a railway bridge on Dumbarton Road, near Cable Depot Road.

The two assailants aimed a laser pen at her and she was blinded in one eye.

She had to give up her job as a postwoman and was left suffering from crippling panic attacks – while her cruel attackers were never caught.

But the car, which was gifted to her by her late dad, was her “lifeline”.

Kirsty told the Post: “My dad Jim made my dream come true as his last gift to me – the car.

“I think he felt it was the last thing he could do and was a thank you for all the care I gave him at the end.

“I’ve taken good care of it and it was in excellent condition, always valeted and never a mark on it until the crash.

“It was more than just a piece of metal. It was my last link to my dad and that can never be replaced, ever.”

She added: “I feel sick to my stomach that this happened. It’s broken my heart all over again. Seeing it outside in that condition makes me feel ill.

“It almost feels like the last piece of my dad has gone.

“It’s been snatched away by some irresponsible man.”

Kirsty’s insurance company told her the vehicle is a write-off, as it would cost more than its value to fix.

And she says she can still hear the crunch from the impact and picture the scene when she looks out of her window.

She added: “Because of my PTSD, that car was my lifeline. It was how I carried on with daily living and stopped me from being stuck at home. Now I don’t have that anymore.

“I don’t have the feeling of safety. It was my transport for hospital and doctor appointments because public transport gives me severe anxiety. That’s gone now.”

In relation to the crash, Police Scotland confirmed a 26-year-old man was arrested and released on an undertaking to appear in court at a later date.

He was charged with allegedly driving a vehicle whilst over the prescribed limit of alcohol, driving without a license, driving without insurance and driving the car without the consent of the registered owner.