A DOCTOR told a trial of a Clydebank man accused of killing his wife that it's one of the worse cases she has dealt with in 32 years.

Mary Eason told the court she believed Maureen Crilley, 67, was going to die at her Whitecrook home in September 2017.

Dr Eason found the pensioner lying on her back naked in her living room with one sock on her foot.

She was unable to examine Mrs Crilley properly as she was in so much pain.

The woman's husband Neil Crilley, 77, today went on trial at the High Court in Glasgow charged with culpable homicide.

The allegation spans between July 1, and September 2, 2017.

Prosecutors claim Mr Crilley knew his wife was “immobilised” and suffering from injury and infection.

Mrs Crilley is said to have been in need of “medical assistance” and unable to help herself.

The charge then states that Crilley acted “culpably and recklessly” and with “utter disregard” by leaving his wife on the floor.

He is said not to have got “appropriate, timely and adequate” medical help causing “unnecessary suffering”.

The indictment states Mrs Crilley was so severely injured and infected that she died in hospital on September 4 2017.

Mr Crilley denies the charge.

The court heard Dr Eason answered the call to go to Mrs Crilleys' house while working as an out of hours GP.

She was allowed in by the accused who was described as “well dressed and polite.”

Dr Eason told jurors there was a clear smell of urine when she entered the property.

She found Mrs Crilley lying on the living room floor surrounded by nappies.

Miss Eason said: “She was naked with one sock on her right foot.

“Her head was held up by pillows and looked very ill.

“I couldn't make out what she was saying as her mouth was dry.

“This was one of the worst cases I have seen in my career.

“My first thought was I need to get her to a hospital immediately.”

The doctor told jurors that it was difficult to examine Mrs Crilley due to her pain.

Click here for all the latest news from Clydebank and the surrounding areas

She said: “Anytime I touched her, it was obvious that she recoiled and moaned.”

Mrs Crilley was asked to go to hospital for treatment but she refused.

Miss Easton said: “I thought she might die. I couldn't administer pain killers as I didn't know how bad she was.”

Mr Crilly told Miss Eason that his wife had fallen but didn't give a timescale of how long she was lying in the living room.

Miss Eason believed that one of Miss Crilley's legs were broken and called an ambulance.

Mr Crilley also denies separate accusations of being threatening and abusive towards his wife and a woman called Helen Jamieson.

Three sisters of Maureen Crilley said accused Neil Crilley was controlling over her.

They told jurors that Maureen wanted to leave her husband at one time but was too fearful to do so.

Prosecutor Richard Goddard QC asked her younger sister Margaret, 68, if their marriage was happy, she replied: "No, she was too frightened."

Another sister Kathleen, 58, blamed Mr Crilley for not being able to see her.

She added: "All the sisters went to visit her when she was in hospital.

"I touched her head and Neil told a police officer to escort me out the room as he thought I messed her hair up.

"She wasn't in touch with anyone and was in the house all the time."

Another sister Helen Jamieson, 63, said that other personal problems also stopped her from seeing her family.

She told jurors that she was called an "Ugly lazy b*****d" by Mr Crilley on one occasion.

Mrs Jamieson added that Mr Crilley called his wife an "ugly dwarf" during an argument which also made her fearful to leave the house.

The trial, before judge Lord Burns, continues.