THE funeral of Johnny Connelly whose death still remains unexplained will take place on Monday.

The 28-year-old was first reported as a missing person before his body was recovered from the water at Spiers Wharf on July 22.

John was known in the Clydebank area and is believed to have worked in a shop in Hardgate. A fellow employee described him as "such a kind person who would do anything for anyone".

More than 320 people shared a post on local community group "Call Yersel a BANKIE" to help find Johnny when he was missing.

A funeral service will be held in St Augustine's Chapel from 9.30am on Monday before continuing to Lambhill Crematorium at 10.30am. The family added that they will attend the Inn on Balmore Road after the service.

A statement released through No1seems2care said: "The Connelly family welcome everyone to join them to celebrate Johnny's life. The Connelly family have asked us to thank this community, and everyone else involved, for their support during this difficult time.

"Finally, the Connelly family have suggested that people can attend the service wearing football tops as football was Johnny's passion, but they have respectfully requested that Celtic and Rangers tops should not be worn to the service. Failing this, normal funeral attire can be worn."

Officers were looking at the possibility that Mr Connelly may have been involved in some sort of incident which resulted in him being injured prior to his death.

They said the injuries he had were to his head and body - and their investigation has centred on what happened to him in an underpass in the city centre area.

Using CCTV they have narrowed down a timeframe from 10pm to 10.20pm on the night he was last seen alive.

The force said Johnny was seen socialising in the city centre on July 15. He was then seen walking in Buchanan Street around 10 pm, walking past the Bus Station and Buchanan Galleries.

He is also seen walking on Sauchiehall Street and West Nile Street.

Around 10.10pm, he stops outside a property in Renfrew Street before walking off where he is seen again in Dundasvale Court.

Click here for all the latest news from Clydebank and the surrounding areas

Officers have established that Johnny was in the underpass at Garscube Road leading to Speirs Wharf in the Cowcaddens area around 10.20 pm where he was seen on CCTV.

They believe he has potentially been involved in an incident at this location where he sustained injuries to his head and body.

Last night the force said the death is still unexplained and enquiries are ongoing.

Previously more than £2,000 was raised through a GoFundMe fundraising page for Johnny's funeral.