A MAN caught with a knife when police searched him outside a Clydebank convenience store tried to claim the coat in which the blade was found wasn’t his.

Cops found the metal-handled kitchen knife, with a blade seven-and-a-half inch blade, while carrying out a search of Darren Gordon outside the Scotmid store on Riddell Street, north Drumry.

Police had been called on May 2 after shop staff raised concern about Gordon’s condition.

The 35-year-old pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing a weapon when he appeared at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Thursday, June 27.

Fiscal depute Kevin Doherty, prosecuting, said: “At 7.25am police were tasked to attend the Scotmid convenience store in relation to a male who was suspected to be under the influence, and for whom staff had concerns.

“Police asked him to leave the store with them; he agreed, and was observed to have slurred speech. He appeared unsteady on his feet, but the officers could not smell alcohol.

“He was detained under the Misuse of Drugs Act for the purposes of a search, during which police recovered a metal-handled kitchen knife with a 7.5-inch blade from the left hand jacket pocket.

“He was cautioned and said ‘it’s no’ mine, it’s my pal’s jacket’.”

Gordon was taken to Clydebank police station and heldovernight.

He was taken to Dumbarton Sheriff Court the next morning, when he made no plea and was remanded in custody.

He was again remanded following a further hearing a week later.

Scott Adair, defending, told the court: “His position is still that it was his pal’s jacket.

Click here for all the latest Clydebank news

“He was under the influence, but even if it was a friend’s jacket, he accepts it would be impossible for him not to have known it was there.”

Mr Adair said Gordon, who was listed in court papers as an inmate at Low Moss prison in Bishopbriggs, had been made the subject of a community payback order for a previous offence, and was still on that order on the day of the knife incident.

Sheriff Maxwell Hendry deferred sentence until August 2 for background reports, and remanded Gordon in custody until then.