A TEENAGER has admitted hurling a lit firework at firefighters during a Bonfire Night fracas in Clydebank which sparked a major emergency response.

Eighteen-year-old Paul Fox threw the weapon at fire crews in Braes Avenue last November.

The Post reported at the time that a “large and disorderly” crowd of youths had allegedly thrown fireworks towards police during an evening which one eyewitness described as “mayhem”, with around 12 police vehicles, plus dogs, present.

Fox, of Lawrence Street in Partick, was due to be sentenced at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last Friday after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to a charge of culpable and reckless conduct.

But his solicitor said that a background report outlining Fox’s circumstances was not available – and admitted that Fox had failed to attend appointments with social workers on more than one occasion.

The lawyer told Sheriff William Gallacher that Fox, a first offender, was “in a difficult situation”, and had missed the first appointment because he had been in hospital getting emergency dental treatment, before falling out with his grandmother, with whom he had been living.

“He is living with friends or with his girlfriend,” the lawyer said. “He appreciates the position he finds himself in – he has no previous convictions and has never been in this situation before.”

Sheriff Gallacher said that in order for Fox to be released on bail he would need to have a stable, fixed address – and sent the teenager to the cells for two hours so that his lawyer could make enquiries.

After that delay, Fox’s solicitor said his client would be able to go back and live with his grandmother in Partick.

Sheriff Gallacher told Fox: “You’re getting out of that door [the public exit] today by a hair’s breadth.

“I’m not impressed by this and I’m not promising that when I get the report on you, you’ll get back out that door again either.

“If you mess up again on the next occasion, I won’t give you any further opportunities.”

Police had to attend the scene of the bonfire on three separate occasions to deal with reports of disorder among groups of young people.

On their first visit, at around 5.45pm on November 5, cops arrested a 17-year-old boy and a girl aged 14 for alleged culpable and reckless conduct.

Click here for all the latest Clydebank news

They then had to go back to the scene at around 7pm after the bonfire was re-lit, with police reporting that fireworks had been thrown at them.

It was also reported that a number of wheelie bins had been set on fire, and that some youngsters had tried to damage a police vehicle.

Extra officers had to go to the scene to put an end to the disturbance.

During their second visit to the scene a 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of a breach of the peace.

And on a third visit, at around 8pm, two 18-year-olds were arrested.

Fox will discover his fate this month when he returns for sentencing.