A THUG drove a Glasgow Housing Association work van at a man who shouted “Your houses are rubbish”.

Darren Clark, 24, from Knightswood, was captured on camera driving the vehicle at Lewis McGhee, who hit the bonnet and landed on the ground.

Clark - who had his dad James in the van - then drove off from the scene.

Mr McGhee was taken to hospital but refused treatment, although returned when he was unwell and was kept in for a few days.

Clark was traced back to the van captured on footage that was later given to the police.

He was initially charged with attempting to murder Mr McGhee but the charge was later reduced to one of to assault.

Clark pleaded guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to assaulting Mr McGhee on December 2, 2017 to the danger of his life.

Clark's dad was also charged with the assault, but his not guilty plea was accepted by prosecutors.

Footage of the shocking incident in Carrbridge Drive, Maryhill, emerged online and circulated round social media.

The court heard that some time after midday Mr McGhee was walking down the road and shouted “your houses are rubbish” at the Glasgow Housing Association van on the street.

Mr McGhee got into an argument with James Clark, who got out of the van, being driven by his son.

Clark then drew up beside his dad and Mr McGhee, who threw a punch at Mr Clark.

The court heard Clark then also go out the van, and the three men tussled in the street, moving to the corner of the road.

Clark and his dad then got back into the van and reversed before he drove at Mr McGhee.

He was smacked by the van and landed on the bonnet before hitting the ground. The pair then drove off.

The court was told initially that Clark worked for GHA, though defence lawyer Mark Allen said Clark was a City Building employee but was contracted by GHA.

A woman in a flat overlooking the street captured the incident on her phone. Footage later emerged online and was given to the police.

Clark was tracked down through his work.

It was accepted there was a potential danger to Mr McGhee's life because he was hit by a van, but he was kept in hospital because of a complication with his diabetes.

Sheriff Daniel Scullion deferred sentence until January and released Clark on bail.

A spokesperson for GHA said: “This incident did not involve any employees of GHA and the van was not in GHA service at the time.”