A MAN who attacked a police support worker in the station after being arrested for brandishing a metal pole in a street in the town centre has been jailed.

Robert Govan was sent to prison after he admitted carrying out the attack on the force support officer in April.

Govan, 25, an inmate of Barlinnie prison, pleaded guilty at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on July 31 to three offences relating to the incident on April 1.

He admitted being in possession of an offensive weapon and behaving in a threatening or abusive manner – shouting, swearing, threatening violence, brandishing the pole or a similar object, and “attempt[ing] to strike the lieges” with the item in Chalmers Street.

Govan also admitted a third charge of assaulting the support officer at Montrose Street police station.

Fiscal depute Claire Nicholls told the court police were asked to go to the scene after CCTV cameras captured Govan picking up a pole which had been thrown at him and chasing people while swinging it.

Ms Nicholls said: “They approached the accused and instructed him to stop, at which time he placed the pole above his head and ran in the direction of the officers.”

The officers used Pava – an incapacitant spray regularly carried by police – on Govan to stop him.

He was then handcuffed and taken to Clydebank police office.

She added: “Once placed in the cell area he became aggressive and fell on top of the complainer, put his left hand around his throat and applied pressure.

“When cautioned and charged he stated, ‘Aye, I had the pole, [but] it was just to defend myself’.”

Govan’s solicitor, Jennifer Reid, said: “He had taken alcohol and Valium and, as a result, his recollection of what happened is very limited.

“He does remember a group of four or five boys who started fighting with his friend. A pole was thrown at him and it’s quite clear from CCTV footage that he picked it up and committed these offences.”

In relation to the incident at the station, Ms Reid said: “His position is that the officer was trying to forcibly remove his clothes to search him.

“He was aggrieved at this because he felt the search was to do with drugs, but his arrest had nothing to do with drugs.

“He knows his behaviour was abhorrent. He was going through a very difficult period in his life."

Sheriff Simon Pender referred to Govan’s “appalling record” for possessing offensive weapons, assault and threatening behaviour, and jailed him for 18 months on the three charges.