A FAIFLEY man was told by a sheriff a sustained and violent attack on his former partner was “barbaric behaviour”.

Andrew Boyle, 45, of Quarryknowe Street, carried out the attacks on May 19, at a house in Limekilns Street.

Dumbarton Sheriff Court heard on Friday how he attacked his ex-partner by repeatedly seizing her by the hair and pulling her to the ground.

He repeatedly punched her on the head and again caused her to fall to the ground.

Boyle behaved in a threatening or abusive manner likely to cause a reasonable person to suffer fear or alarm by entering the property uninvited and behaved in an aggressive manner, refusing to leave and continuing to shout, swear and make threats of violence.

He then smashed up a television set and a mobile telephone belonging to his ex-partner.

Prosecutor Ian Meacock told the court: “She asked him to leave or she would call the police.

“He told her she would get battered if she did and put the phone down.

“He took hold of her by the hair and punched her to the side of the face and repeatedly punched her on the head.

“She tried to get her phone back, but he punched her again. He then locked the front door and repeatedly punched her on the head.

“Eventually she managed to get away to a neighbour’s house and police were called. Boyle left five minutes before police arrived. By this time both the TV and her mobile were smashed.

“She was upset and crying when police arrived. The accused returned and had a cut to his left arm. She was terrified.

“He was handcuffed and taken to the Southern General Hospital for treatment. The cut was self-inflicted.

“He told police he did it to himself as he deserved it because of what he had done. He was later taken to Clydebank police office, where he was cautioned and charged and gave a no comment interview.”

Defence lawyer Kenny McGowan said: “He does not blame his intoxication and does not shy away from the seriousness of this offence.”

Sheriff John Hamilton said: “This was quite a shocking piece of behaviour and the court would fully be within its rights to impose a custodial sentence.

“This was barbaric behaviour. This is the 21st century.”

Boyle was put on a community payback order as a direct alternative to a jail sentence.

He was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and put on supervision for 12 months.