A CLYDEBANK businessman snapped when a bus was parked in front of his firm and launched into a tirade against the driver, a court has heard.

The incident, now nearly two years old, finally resolved last week as Paul Smith, 40, pleaded guilty to shouting and swearing at the driver in North Avenue in Clydebank Business Park. Smith gestured as if to spit at the driver and also assaulted him being trying to seize hold of him by the body.

The scene is often used as a turning circle for buses and at around 9.40am, on July 20, 2016, the driver of a First Bus was stopped there, heard Dumbarton Sheriff Court.

He became aware of a blue Subaru pulling alongside his bus. He then saw Smith leaving the vehicle and walking to the driver’s side of the bus shouting “move, f****** move” and “move your f****** bus”.

The driver was intimidated by Smith’s tone, fiscal depute Emma Thomson told the court, and he told Smith he would move as soon as the bus in front cleared the road.

Ms Thomson said: “At this point, Smith approached the driver’s side window, and leaned forward, placing two hands on the ledge. ‘Naw, you’ll f****** move it now’. He then lunged into the driver window and tried to seize [the driver] by the body.

“The accused made a gesture as if he was going to spit and [the driver] had to move quickly out of the way.

“The bus was then moved but the accused continued his course of aggressive behaviour. The bus stopped further along the road and [the driver] was on his phone at the time. The accused returned and entered the bus and attempted to open the driver’s cab door. At this point, he phoned the police.”

Smith drove away and CCTV later identified him. The reasons for the case taking nearly two years to get to court were not disclosed.

Defence solicitor Brian McGuire said Smith, of Canniesburn Road, Bearsden, had turned his life around “considerably” since his “rash of offending” between the ages of 16 and 20, particularly with the help of the Venture Trust.

Smith has been self-employed for a number of years and has run a business for 12 years in the Clydebank park.

Mr McGuire told the court: “His behaviour was entirely inappropriate. He is kicking himself for becoming involved in this situation.

“This incident took place at the entrance to Clydebank Business Park. They have been plagued by bus companies taking their breaks parking at the entrance to the business park.

“His entrance was blocked at that time. It was a source of some considerable frustration. There were three buses so he couldn’t get past.

“He said the bus driver was simply ignoring his request and effectively goading him.

“He knows only too well that it was sheer folly. All he wanted to do was go to his work and not get in an altercation.”

Mr McGuire said since the incident, a dedicated bus stop was made at the entrance to the business park, but that “it has actually exacerbated the situation”.

Sheriff John Hamilton said he could have some sympathy with frustration but that Smith went “further than simply being frustrated”.

Mr McGuire replied: “This had been a situation that had been going on time and time again and the users of the business park were frustrated by this situation.”

Sheriff Hamilton called for reports and suggested Smith tell social workers about the benefits he gained from the Venture Trust so he might pass on the lessons he learned 20 years ago to young offenders today.

He added: “It should be something you’re willing to do.”

Smith will be sentenced on April 20.