A MAN who boasted about wanting to be like cop-killer Dale Cregan is facing a lengthy prison sentence.

Craig Brown, 28, made the vile comments in praise of the quadruple murderer in Greater Manchester after being arrested in Clydebank.

Last week he pleaded guilty at Dumbarton Sheriff Court to possession of a knife, to shouting, swearing, uttering threats of violence and homophobic remarks, and to spitting on the face of an officer.

Police were called to the incident on July 19 by a resident of Brunswick House in Melbourne Avenue saying a male was outside and brandishing a knife.

When officers arrived they found a female walking away and two men at the entrance of the building, Brown being one of them.

Brown refused to show his hands when police noticed he seemed to be hiding something within his puffer jacket but then a black-handled blade fell to the ground.

He was arrested and tensed up as he was led to the police vehicle and on arrival at Clydebank police office began to shout and swear, declaring: “Dale Cregan is a legend. I will do to you what he did.”

He repeatedly said he wanted to be just like Cregan, said depute fiscal Sarah Healing. He also shouted homophobic abuse.

Around 7am the next morning, as Brown was being prepared for escort to court, he became aggressive with officers and G4S staff. He turned to face a police constable and spat directly in his face and then shouted: “I don’t matter – it would get dropped anyway.”

Sheriff William Gallacher called for reports to be prepared for sentencing on November 1 and said: “It’s inevitable I will impose a significant and lengthy prison sentence.”

Brown, whose address was given in court papers as Low Moss prison, will remain in jail until sentencing.

Dale Cregan murdered two police officers in 2013 after making a hoax emergency call to lure them to his property. He also murdered two others and is serving a whole-life prison sentence.

PCs Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, were shot multiple times and a hand grenade was thrown at them. One-eyed Cregan later turned himself in at a police station, boasting of the murders.