TRAFFIC was brought to a stand still as a man risked his life by scaling one of the towers on the Erskine Bridge. A number of vehicles were crossing when the 25-year-old was spotted high above the roadway, clambering up the massive structure that sits in the middle of the carriageway.

Horrified commuters looked on in astonishment as the seemingly fearless man, whom we have chosen not to identify, climbed towards the bridge's 125 foot summit.

Emergency services, including police, fire, ambulance and coastguard, raced to the scene after a member of the public raised the alarm shortly after 5am.

All vehicles were directed to leave the bridge as a rescue operation went into full swing at one of Scotland's most notorious suicide spots. The bridge was closed to traffic travelling in both directions for about one hour as police negotiators attempted to coax the man down.

Fears for his safety escalated when at one point he attempted to slide down one of the huge suspension cables.

The frightening episode comes almost exactly one year after the completion of a �3.5m project to improve safety barriers at the bridge which has been the site of many tragedies over the years including that of Helensburgh teenager Neve Lafferty, 15, and Georgia Rowe, 14, from Hull who leapt to their deaths in 2009 in an apparent suicide pact.

An eye witness who watched the drama unfold told the Post: "It was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. The guy didn't seem to be aware of the danger he was in at all.

"The police arrived pretty quickly and we were told to turn our car around and get off the bridge. We waited for about an hour before the road opened again."

It's understood fire crews from Clydebank and Renfrew travelled to the bridge silently to prepare for a possible rescue at height after police called for assistance during the terrifying July 20 ordeal.

Specialist fire service water rescue teams based at Knightswood and Polmadie were also mobilised to their respective boats while a coastguard lifeboat from Helensburgh also responded. In total there were three boats on the Clyde, approaching the bridge from either direction while police negotiators continued to talk to the man who eventually climbed down of his own volition.

A spokesman for Police Scotland said the man was uninjured and after being spoken to by medical staff. He was taken to the Western Infirmary for further assessment. It's understood no criminal charges will follow.