A MAN who was so drunk he couldn’t remember causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to a Clydebank block of flats until he witnessed himself on CCTV has been jailed.

Michael McBride pleaded guilty to repeatedly striking and kicking glass panes on windows, a door and a public notice board, causing the panes to break, and causing damage to the door in Crescent Court in Dalmuir on December 17, 2016.

McBride admitted his guilt after he was shown CCTV footage of himself carrying out the vandalism.

The 20-year-old, whose address was stated in court papers as “unknown”, appeared at Dumbarton Sheriff Court for sentencing on Wednesday, August 30, following the incident, which caused £2,012 worth of damage.

His defence agent, Lauren Kerr, told the court: “His position is that he was very much under the influence of alcohol and doesn’t have a recollection of this.

“He remains a young man. He’s only 20. He’s keen to turn his life around.

“In the past, he has been, I would say, quite immature towards matters, and that’s why there has been difficulties.

“There’s a suggestion of focus that could be put in place in terms of a community payback order or supervision.”

Ms Kerr argued there was no one present at the time of the incident, meaning no one was “upset” by McBride’s actions.

But she admitted that people living in the area at the time would be likely to have suffered the consequences of the damage to the flats.

She said: “This is an offence that’s getting on in age. He has now had a significant period where he has had his liberty.

“He feels he’s in a better position now and is more mature and he could take advantage of [a CPO] now.”

However, Sheriff William Gallacher was unconvinced.

He told McBride: “This is an offence with considerable damage, simply in a context where you say you were so drunk you don’t remember anything about it.

“I have no confidence whatsoever you are a candidate who would comply [with a CPO]”.

McBride was sentenced to six months in prison, reduced from eight months on account of his guilty plea.

His sentence was backdated to August 2, when he was originally remanded in custody.