A SURVIVOR of the horror bus stop crash in Clydebank has spoken for the first time since he returned home from six weeks in hospital.

Paul Dempster needed a complete reconstruction of his knee, had a punctured lung and five broken ribs after a van flung him over a small wall on Kilbowie Road back on April 28.

After weeks of treatment and recovery, the 43-year-old said he was relieved to be home along with his next door neighbour who was also hit that morning.

The driver of the van took unwell around 7.44am and mounted the pavement as people stood in the bus shelter, sending them flying.

Paul was one of four rushed to hospital including a 15-year-old boy, Paul’s 48-year-old female friend and neighbour, and the 52-year-old male driver of the van.

The Leven Court resident told the Post: “I’m home and safe. I’m very relieved to get back to my own home.

“When I realised it was coming towards me, I couldn’t even move. We were standing just slightly outside the shelter. It threw me right over the top of the wall.

“I got the full impact of the van to my left knee and I landed on top of the bus shelter.

“I was just lying there and shouted for help.

“A boy came to me and said ‘they’re coming quick’.

“When this happened, my neighbour was thrown around the corner. A bunch of people came and helped and said paramedics were on the way.

“It was very comforting to have people reassuring me.”

He added: “I feel quite lucky to be alive.”

Paul was the last to be released from hospital from the crash after his treatment required 36 staples in both legs as well as the knee reconstruction. He has been told three of four tendons on the back of the leg will not repair.

He said: “The last thing I remember was being put into an ambulance. I’m glad it happened so quickly.”

But Paul admitted the accident has also had a psychological impact, and the support of friends has helped.

He continued: “My confidence is totally gone. I would be terrified to go out. You would never think for one minute that something like this would actually happen.

“There was a steady stream of people visiting in hospital and I got cards from neighbours.

“I didn’t think I would be back on my feet so quickly.”

Last month, Oskar, the 15-year-old school pupil who was injured, said he suffered fractured bones to his fingers, a broken nose and cheekbone.

He told the Post: “I’m walking, I’m okay but [when it happened] I was confused. I saw lots of people come over, but I didn’t know they were taking to me. I didn’t know what was happening.”

Quick thinking residents rushed to aid the injured moments after another Bankie, who narrowly escaped being hit, raised the alarm.

Karen Morgan was standing next to the bus stop and looked up just in time to get out of the van’s path.

Despite her shock and terror as she watched the events unfold, Karen quickly alerted others and ensured emergency services were called for those in need.

Police confirmed to the Post there will be no charges in connection with the crash.