A SECOND Avenue man has told of his terror after he was awoken by screams as flames engulfed a neighbouring flat.

The neighbour, who asked not to be named, said he heard an alarm sound in the distance before hearing a woman cry out “it’s a fire” in the early hours of Wednesday, May 10.

Dozens of residents were evacuated and two women within the first floor property leapt from the window in fear for their lives before being rushed to hospital.

The resident told the Post: “I heard the screaming and shouting. I think they were trapped and had to jump out the window.

“Our house was filled of smoke. I could hear them shouting ‘it’s a fire’. I think she was badly hurt. You can still smell the smoke.”

He added: “It can happen any time, you just don’t expect it. It makes you think the whole building could’ve gone up [in flames].

“It’s good the fire brigade got here when they did because it could have been a lot worse.

“It’s bad enough at 1am but if it had been one in the afternoon, it would have been chaos with the schools [nearby].”

The resident of the council flat is described as a young woman – who is believed to have had a friend staying over the night of the fire.

The extent of her injuries following the 1.23am blaze is unknown, however, those in the area fear she could have been hurt by landing on a brick wall which would have been directly in her path if she jumped from the window in terror.

Another neighbour said: “I saw her getting taken away, there was a lot of ambulances. If she did come out the window, she’d have hit the wall.”

From the outside, the property looks burnt out, with black smoke stains licking up the outside wall from every window and large piles of debris underneath the flat.

Fire crews continue to investigate the cause of the blaze, however, police confirmed it was not a criminal matter.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We received a call at 1.26am hours today [Wednesday] from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to attend an incident at an address on Second Avenue in Clydebank.

“We dispatched two ambulances and our special operations response team to the scene.

“Four patients were taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said four appliances attended.